Headdress Workshop - DIY Headdress Base
This 2-hour workshop will teach you how to make a durable and lightweight headdress base from scratch. Follow step-by-step instructions to recreate three different headdress base styles in real time.
Anja Yamaji has been teaching this headdress workshop in-person across Texas and now you can take it no matter where you are! This class covers how to create the headdress base. Once you’re familiar with how to build the base, check out the Headdress Workshop - Fan and Floral Design to decorate it. Use this base as a starting point for a headdress for costumes, festivals, concerts, special events, body paint competitions, photo shoots, and more.
In this DIY headpiece class you'll learn:
- 3 different headdress base styles
- How to create a headdress pattern
- How to shape and glue craft foam
- Materials necessary for headdresses, such as craft foam and floral foam
- Professional tips, dos and don'ts in headdress making
- Tools in Anja’s toolbox
- Types of glues including contact cement, water-based glues, and resin-based glues
SKILL LEVEL: ALL
You'll receive printable PDF files of the following:
- Checklist of materials and tools for making the base
- List of types of glues
- List of what's in my toolbox
- Links to all materials, glues and tools
- Pattern for the universal base (print on 8.5x11 sheet and cut out)
- Pattern layout sheet to explain how to lay your pattern pieces on the table
- Product Links to all materials, glues and tools
- Step-by-step written instructions for how to make the headdress base
PRODUCTS: If you live in the United States you'll have easy access to all the supplies. Most items will be available at Amazon, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Sally Beauty. In case you prefer a ready-made materials kit for this headdress workshop, those are available in my online shop and ship worldwide.
DURATION: 2 hours
This class does not cover how to decorate the headdress. Learn how embellish the base in these classes:
- Beginners Headdress Workshop - Fan and Floral Design
- Advanced Headdress Workshop - Gold and Horns Design
DIY Headdress Kits:
OPTIONAL: Materials Kit for Headdress Base
The kit is available to purchase in my online shop. It includes:
- craft foam
- head band
- strap and elastic
- floral foam
- disposable brush
Live DIY Headdress Classes:
For upcoming live workshops please go to Anja's Eventbrite page.
Please contact Anja if you want to schedule a private group or a "1on1" in person class.
Headdress Base Workshop - Course Preview
I would like to invite you to take a sneak peek at my Headdress Base Workshop.
Hi, I’m Anja!
I’m an artist dedicated to bringing color and sparkle to everyday life with my custom work.
Through beauty makeup, body paint, and headdresses, I find joy in helping others feel beautiful and confident.
My fine art paintings are tuned to the positive energy in a space and are designed to enhance a room with the right colors.
As your art mentor and instructor, I’m here to help you succeed.
What can you create with your headdress base?
Use your headdress base to create your own designs like:
- Egyptian headdress
- Fantasy headdress
- Flower headpiece
- Geisha headdress
- Goddess headdress
- Indian headdress
- Medusa headpiece
- Warrior headdress
Below are some examples using the three different headdress bases from this DIY headpiece workshop.
Using the Peacock Style Base
Finish your peacock style headdress base with decorations that span from side to side.
Using the Warrior Style Base
The warrior style headdress base makes for an impactful design from front to back.
Using the Headband Style Base
The headband style headdress base is perfect for when you don't want to cover the forehead.